- This event has passed.
Using the Bead String to Build Fluency in Multiplication & Division and the Bridge to Fractions
October 20 @ 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm EDT3-session bundle: $540 (Shop DoE) or $600 / per session: $200 (Shop DoE) or $225
Each session listed below will be a stand alone. Attend any 1 session or all 3 and SAVE!
- Session #1 – Lessons to Develop Fluency with the Building Blocks (a.k.a Basic Facts) – Oct. 20
- Session #2 – Lessons to Develop Landmark Strategies in Multiplication & Division – Nov. 3
- Session #3 – Lessons to Develop Foundations in Fractions – Nov. 10
The NEW Virtual Bead String Model is inspiring new ways of thinking about the teaching and learning of math in K-4 classrooms. The ReimaginED Team has been experimenting with this NEW innovative model and has been piloting it in classrooms across New York City. In our collaborations with teachers, we have found that the virtual bead string, when used mindfully and skillfully, is a critical tool to help children develop the mathematical structures essential for fluency in number.
CTLE: 2 credits per session
What is a Virtual Teaching Learning Community (TLC)?
Antonia (Toni) Cameron, the creator of the NEW Virtual Bead String model, will be facilitating each virtual session LIVE and offer coaching support for participants using this tool. Each session is designed as a practicum, educators will have the time they need to play, collaborate, and receive feedback on how they are modeling students’ mathematical thinking.
PARTICIPANTS WILL EXPLORE:
- video examples to highlight specific teaching tools (essential talk moves and use of board space); analysis will also focus on how to deconstruct students’ mathematical thinking and how to represent their ideas to highlight important mathematical structures.
- a range of newly created Virtual Bead String Lesson Sketches.
- collaborate and receive feedback on how they are modeling students’ mathematical thinking.
Any educator who has the Virtual Bead String APP and wants to continue studying how to use the model to teach multiplication and division. These sessions will be tailored to meet the needs of ALL participants. Whether you’re just starting to play with the Virtual Bead String or if you’re ready for more advanced explorations, please join us.
Note: This Math PD is exclusively offered to those educators who currently have access to the NEW Virtual Bead String APP. If you do not have access and you are interested in learning more about the NEW VIrtual Bead String APP, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
PARTICIPANTS WILL LEAVE WITH:
- a deeper understanding of how to model mathematical big ideas and strategies using the Virtual Bead String App.
- access to NEW Virtual Bead String Lesson Sketches.